Monday, September 8, 2008

Geography Links

Here are some links that I find useful:

Map Projections

I like this website because it contains all of the information you could ever want to know about map projections. This is not because I particularly like map projections, actually it's quite the contrary. I find that they tend to make my head hurt. This website is useful because it goes through all of the different types of projections, what properties they distort/preserve, equations for map projections (that's bound to give me a migraine), and a history of different map projections. I find this useful to refresh and reinforce my knowledge of projections. (Did I mention that this is my least favorite part of geography?)

2000 Census Info

This website, although pretty generic, contains TONS of data that can be used in researching and collecting data for many different maps. Even though as we approach 2010 when we will have an infinite amount of up-to-date data, this is still a great resource. There is also community profile information including income and poverty data through the 2007 American Community Survey.

Victoria Transportation Encyclopedia

I have found this useful because I have an interest within the geography field in urban planning. This online encyclopedia is published and maintained by the Victoria Transport Policy Institute in British Columbia. It includes studies for promoting and achieving more efficient, less congested transportation solutions. The website includes 'strategies to achieve specific objectives' such as congestion reduction, energy conservation, promoting health and fitness, and parking solutions.

No comments: